February 21, 2005

The University of the Free

In earlier contributions to this blog, I mentioned my plan to attend a workshop on how to prepare a final research paper. It was offered by the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (Free University of Amsterdam), and it was to happen at february 22nd. With some effort, I managed to get that day off, and I called to Amsterdam february 15th. There were only four places still available in that workshop, a guy from Vrije Universiteit told me, but if I were to show up thursday morning (17th) 10am at the desk of the student service center and paid in cash for participation, all would be well. It was not possible to make an account transfer, so I decided to get up early, pay for buses and trains and make the 2,5 hr journey from my home to the desk I was supposed to pay at. Behind it I found a nice lady. She looked in her computer, told me that the workshop was annulled, that she could not tell me why but supposed it was because of lack of participants, and that there was no alternative on offer. I realised that I'd taken a risk, and lost.

Well, you cannot win 'em all, can you...?

Christof

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home